The Stall Plates of the Knights of the Order of the Garter 1348 – 1485
London Archibald Constable and Company Ltd, Westminster 1901
Illustrates the stall plates of the Knights of the Most Noble Order of the Garter. The Order of the Garter was an order of chivalry, founded in King Edward III in 1348 89 colour chromolithographed plates, 2 of which are folding, and one of which is double paged. Compiled by William St John Hope, and English antiquary. This copy, green cloth covered boards and leather spine. Loosely inserted alphabetical hand written list of the illustrations and a letter from Sydney Cockerell who repaired this particular volume on headed paper of Douglas Cockerell and Son Also included are two prospectus's for the book issued in May 1901 and noting that there are strictly 500 copies of the book being printed. Finally the original heraldic shield from the upper green cloth covered board is pasted down on the front paste down along with the book plate of John Linley Peel of Halifax. Garter stall plates are small enamelled brass plates located in St George's Chapel displaying the names and arms of the Knights of the Garter. Hard to find.