New Curt Valentin Gallery 1951-52. 1951
A set of the gallery's ten exhibition catalogues for that year, in their original wrappers, bound together with a descriptive title page. Exhibitions include Lehmbruch and his Contemporaries, Gerhard Marchs, Sculpture by Painters, Recent Etchings and Lithographs, Alexander Calder, Pablo Picasso, Lyonel Feininger, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, and Henri Laurens. Sm 8vo. 6 7/8 x 4 3/4 inches. Variously paged. Fine in grey cloth, gilt spine lettering which is rubbed and hard to read. The striking wrappers for each exhibition alongside the illustrations to each catalogue make this a great set, documenting the projects of the gallery in the immediate post war period. Valetin, first moved to in 1937 New York where he opened the Buchholz Gallery in September , at 3 West 46 Street. In 1939 the gallery relocated to 32 East 57 Street. From 1951 to 1955 it operated under the name Curt Valentin Gallery, still specializing in modern French and German art. This group of catalogues represents those works exhibited in the first year of the gallery. Valentin was a key figure in the dispersal of so-called "degenerate" art (that is, banished modern artworks removed by the elected government from German state-owned museums in 1937 and sent abroad for sale.) Records of Curt Valentin's activities in New York can be found at MOMA, New York.