Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ]

Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ] < >
  • Another image of Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ]
  • Another image of Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ]
  • Another image of Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ]
  • Another image of Wych Cross Place by [MAWSON, Thomas et al ]

Wych Cross Place

Bernard Thorpe & Partners and Messrs Brooks, Davidson & Bartley 1954

47pp, 16 b/w real photographs mounted on brown paper and tipped in opposite facing texts. Paper wrappers with title on upper wrapper. 290x220mm Long 4to. Sale details and particulars of this superb house and garden with associated park and common. Includes description of the house, interior, grounds, gardens, woodlands, lakes, outbuildings, farmhouses and fifteen cottages. Internally very good. Wrappers foxed across all surfaces and edges slightly frayed. The images include an aerial view, the long gallery, drawing room, dining room, croquet lawn, yew walk, swimming pool, lakes, azalea walk etc. Text describes the house and grounds. Edmund Fisher was the architect for the house designed in 1904 which replaced an earlier house. He trained as an architect in the office of Basil Champneys in London but his career was cut short by his death during World War I. Thomas Mawson designed the grounds and these are illustrated in his book "The Art and Craft of Garden Making" [ 3rd and subsequent editions] and is considered one of his finest achievements for private landscape work in the early 1900s. The estate was newly laid out, during the early 1900s for Douglas W Freshfield, a geographer an President of the Alpine Club. Freshfield employed Thomas Hayton Mawson (1861-1933) to design the formal gardens and pleasure grounds which were then built by Mawson using the family firm Mawson Brothers, as contractors. The majority of Mawson's scheme has remained unaltered although the Pergola has gone. A really good document and sales catalogue which quotes Beverley Nichols on the gardens as its opening sales pitch. He had visited and much admired the grounds which he mentions in his writings on gardens. Now owned by Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Emir of Sharjah who purchased the estate in 1989. Both house and gardens are listed by Historic England.

Stock ID: 21241
Print this page View basket Price: £225.00