Harlow New Town Short History of the Area which it will embrace
The Harlow Development Corporation, 1951
Illustrated with colour b/w plates and fold out map showing the old settlements which were to be embraced by the new town. Card covers, printed title on upper wrapper. Good copy. The original Harlow New Town was built after World War II along with places such as Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead a result of the New Towns Act of 1946, with the master plan for Harlow drawn up in 1947 by Sir Frederick Gibberd. A particular approach to the development of Harlow New Town was to respect the existing landscape and so this publication is useful if assessing the area's traditional architecture and landscape to be incorporated into the New Town area.