Printed letter from Stained Glass Works
30 Southampton Street, Strand December 1857 and a list of works. 4ff folded printed on two sides. 230x275mm. The letter comprises an introductory letter to potential clients advertising his business and explaining the range of work undertaken, Quarry and Grisaille Glass and Subject Glass as well as Mural and General Ecclesiastical Decoration. The second page comprises a list of completed projects organised by County and Country. Nathaniel Wood Lavers 1828-1911 established the firm in 1855. The firm changed its name several times with the arrival and departure of each partner. Francis Barraud (1824-1900) became a partner in 1858 and Nathaniel Westlake joined the partnership in 1868, having designed for the firm since 1858. After the death of Barraud in 1900 the firm was known as Lavers, Westlake and Co., although Westlake had been the sole proprietor since 1880. After 1909 the company became N H J Westlake, London, and closed in the 1920s.