A Short History of the Township of Rivington in the County of Lancaster with some Account of the Church and Grammar School
Edinburgh The Ballantyne Press 1904
Presentation copy from W H Lever on the occasion of the opening of Lever Park, Rivington, May 18th 1904. (xvii) + 211pp. Illustrated with b/w plates and including a fold out map of the area proposed for the park beside the reservoir. Large paper edition Tall quarto, brown buckram. From the Hayhurst library. William Hesketh Lever, 1st Viscount Leverhulme presented the area adjacent to the reservoir to be used as a public park just belowthe Bungalow and associated Japanese gardens which he constructed and lived in occasionally. The gardensare currently being restored but after a chequered history, the bungalow has been now demolished. Soon after it was built, Suffragette Edith Rigby claimed to have set fire to it on 7 July 1913. It was rebuilt but was demolished after the war finally. The park area was a philanthropic gesture for the people of Lancashire. His scheme included a scaled down version of Liverpool Castle which is beside the reservoir. He renovated a series of old barns on the site to be used as public halls for tea dances etc. The park remains open today.