East Circular Quay 1788-1998
The City of Sydney 1998
32pp sepia photographic illustrations with plans/line drawings etc. Long 4to illustrated wrappers, a very good copy. Bookplate of Winston Barnett architect. East circular key, Sydney was the site where the first European settlers landed in Australia. This publication provides a historical overview of the site by this highly regarded urban historian. It also examines the contemporary issues that surround the planning and development of East Circular Key. Major redevelopment of East Circular Quay occurred in the 1950s. Wool stores were demolished and replaced by a number of modernist commercial buildings lining the eastern side of Circular Quay. The height limit was increased from 150 feet to 915 feet in 1959, and Circular Quay soon became dominated by skyscrapers. The current publication investigates policy to ameliorate the first post war phase of development seeking urban design solutions.