A Description of the East Window of S Martin's Windermere: With Some Account of That Old Parish Church (Sometimes Called Bowness Church) Also a Description of the Arms in the Window by Charles Bailey and Some Remarks on the Art of Glass Painting by Henry Hughes
Kendal Printed by Atkinson and Pollitt 1874
26pp illustrated with six tipped in sepia photographs and 2pp plates showingn the window inscriptions. Green decorated cloth with gilt titles. Loosely inserted manuscript notes on the funds raised for the restoration of the window and the names of contributors together with some additional hand written notes on the stained glass. Interesting documentary collection on a single project. Funds from sale of the book were intended for the restoration fund for the window. St Martin's Church is the parish Church of Bowness, and was built in 1483, with various alterations, including the restoration of 1870, when the Church was enlarged by Paley and Austin. The outstanding feature is the East window which was entrusted to Henry Hughes of London Glazier. The restoration was subsequently documented in guide books to the church.