The Church Builder: A Journal of Church Extension in England and Wales no 1-72.
London: Rivington in connection with the Incorporated Church Building Society 1863-1879
Bound as 6 volumes. Contemporary gilt lettered quarter calf with marbled boards. Corners and marbling on boards and spines a little rubbed else in good condition. Internally bright The first six volumes of the official journal of the Church Building Society, which ran until 1908. Packed with useful information and containing articles on general principles and techniques alongside accounts of individual churches being built, restored or extended. Illustrated with b/w plates showing proposed restorations and completed projects, this journal is a wonderful record of church architecture in the period. It is particularly useful for the study of the subject as each quarterly issue includes a list of new or restored churches with the date of their consecration, details of the architect used and a summary of the architectural work completed. Notoriously difficult to collate, this set contains all the parts called for together with two extra illustrations in no xvii, facing page 34, St Hilda's Hospital, Hartlepool and no xviii, facing p76 Christ Church Freemantle. The contents page for nos 1-4 not present but it is unclear if it was every produced. Similarly there is no title page or contents for nos 33-36.